- To improve access to safe drinking water for all communities.
Key Focus Area
- Improving pumping systems, storage and distribution.
- Providing potable drinking water supplies to rural and urban communities.
- Providing water that can be used for livestock.
- Providing water that can be used during drilling/rehabilitation of bore wells.
- Protecting natural spring/pools and shallow wells.
Somalis Are Short Of Water
Somalia runs a rainfall deficit in all areas, some large especially where most people live (shown below).
Available renewable freshwater is only 2-4% of Oceania’s (Australia and New Zealand).
Source: Africa Water Atlas 2010 (UNEP).